Fiery Thai Green Chicken Curry, a super hot and super tasty recipe that is ready in just about 20 minutes. Serve with rice for a true Asian feast experience.
I must warn you, this dish is not for the faint-hearted! If you like proper spicy food, then this is the recipe you have been looking for. It’s absolutely delicious, extremely flavourful and full of colour, and extra bonus, it is ready in no time.
You can still fully enjoy it if you are not really ready to have your mouth in fire, but only if you seriously cut down on the amount of green curry paste and red chilli peppers to get a more mild version.
I usually go for Indian curries, but this Thai one completely blew my mind. The combination of creamy coconut milk and exotic spices is what gives this dish a unique touch. Hard to resist the heat!
This green curry paste can be made at home, but it’s a lot simpler to buy it from any larger supermarket or Asian store. It saves time and effort, plus it’s also a lot cheaper, and most brands offer really good quality paste. If you can save yourself some time, why not do it?
I do, however recommend you buy the kaffir lime leaves and the Thai basil, they have an intense aroma that works so beautifully with this dish. But, if you can’t find them, and use the store-bought curry paste anyway, that should not be a massive problem.
HOW TO MAKE THAI GREEN CHICKEN CURRY AT HOME
This dish is not only super simple to make, but also quick. If you use chicken breast, then it’s ready in about 20 minutes maximum.
- stir fry the green onion, garlic and ginger for about 30 seconds or so, they will release their full flavour and add a nice kick to the curry
- add the curry paste, chicken chunks, coconut milk and water and leave to cook for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- in go the fish sauce, kafir leaves and Thai basil, then decorate with red chilli peppers and coriander
It’s as simple as that, but it’s super packed with amazing Thai flavours that will make you like your fingers clean. Again, if the heat is too much, drop the red chilli peppers, and add less curry paste, that should do the trick.
If you’ve tried my THAI GREEN CHICKEN CURRY or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Fiery Thai Green Chicken Curry, super hot and super tasty dinner recipe that is ready in just about 20 minutes.
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp (store-bought) Thai green curry paste
- 1 spring onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped Thai basil
- 1 red chilli peppers
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- corinader leaves (cilantro) to garnish
Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and set aside.
Chop the spring onions, peel and cut the ginger and garlic cloves.
Heat up the vegetable oil in a pan, add the chopped spring onion, garlic and ginger, add stir for about 30 seconds until the release the flavour.
Add the green curry paste, then stir for a further 5 seconds.
Now the chicken chunks, coconut milk and water can be added too.
Leave to cook for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, then add the fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil.
Remove from the heat, then garnish with sliced red chilli peppers and coriander leaves.
- Chicken can be subsituted with turkey, but the cooking time could be about 10 minutes longer.
- Best to use full-fat coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- If you like less liquid in your curry, omit the water and only use the coconut milk.