Chicken satay skewers with crunchy peanut butter sauce make a perfect dish for any party. Serve them as an appetizer or even as a main dish together with a fresh green salad, there will be no leftovers, that’s for sure.
I can’t really say that l’m a big fan of peanut butter, l may have it with a few slices of toast occasionally, but don’t really miss it otherwise. Same with roasted peanuts, l like the salty ones, and wouldn’t say no to having some from time to time. But, surprisingly, l loved these chicken satay skewers, it’s a wonderful combination of flavours, that l might otherwise find at least weird. But it works so well, and the chicken is lovely and tender. You know me already, l do like Asian flavours, and to me that is ginger, garlic and soy sauce, as being the main ingredients to any beautiful dish. There are, of course, other sauces too, but the soy sauce can’t really miss.
I opted for the crunchy peanut butter, although you can use the smooth peanut butter, for a more delicate texture, but l think it’s pretty interesting and brings that something different to these chicken satay skewers. They are really popular all over the world, and maybe not surprisingly, popular with kids too. I guess peanut butter makes any food taste better, in their eyes at least. You don’t need to wait for summer to have a bbq party, make your own chicken satay in any season, a grill pan is all you need. I know, it’s not the same without that smokey flavour, but nevermind. Alternatively, bake them in the oven, the result will be as impressive.
Chicken satay skewers with crunchy peanut butter sauce
- 250g diced chicken breast
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2cm fresh ginger root, grated
- parsley to garnish
For the peanut butter sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1cm fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp cornflour
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp honey
- To make the marinade, combine all ingredients (minus the parsley), coat the chicken breast well, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Bring the grill pan to a medium to high heat, place the chicken and grill on both sides for about 3-4 minutes, until cooked through.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on a few skewers.
- To make the sauce, pour the chicken stock in a pan over a medium heat, add the ginger, garlic, peanut butter, soy sauce and honey and give it a good stir.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the stock, mix well, then add to the pan.
- Stir well until the sauce thickens slightly, add the lime juice, give it a good mix, then remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken skewers on a serving plate, brush the chicken with the peanut sauce, and retain the rest of the sauce for dipping.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley (or coriander).