Caramel and walnut wafers are simply my favourite sweet treat ever since l was a child. Crispy wafer sheets, crunchy walnuts and delicious sticky caramel, all in one amazing dessert. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, it is true, and you can get it done in about 30 minutes or so.
The joy when l find some Romanian products in the UK. Ah, it fells like home all over again. I’m like a child who gets excited to find the hidden box of candies. I’m sure you can all relate, there is no better feeling than enjoying food that reminds you of good old days. There is this big shop in the town centre where you can find Eastern European products, and, to my surprise, they have a pretty good range of goodies. Finding these wafer sheets was like striking gold; l knew exactly how to put them to good use. Of course, you can buy wafers with ready-made filling, but wait, you have to try my filling first, and l bet you’ll just love it.
My caramel and walnut wafers are pretty good for any occasion. Kids will love them, and grown-ups too. If you really get stuck when it comes to buying presents for Christmas, just wrap them up nicely, and ta-daaah, problem sorted. I’m sure there will be some mummies more than happy to receive home-made treats for little ones, rather than ready-made junk. I’m not saying they are super healthy, but at least you know what goes in them.
Caramel and walnut wafers
- 14 wafer sheets
- 125 g caster sugar
- 75 ml water
- 100 g butter
- 50 g icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place a non-stick pan on a low heat and mix in the caster sugar and water.
- Leave to caramelise for 20-25 minutes, it is important not tobeing the heat up, as the caramel can burn quickly.
- Use a gand mixer to beat the butter and icing sugar until soft, then add the eggs one by one and mix well until incorporated.
- Once the caramel has a light brown colour, add the butter mixture and whisk well for 5 minutes until the smooth and has a darker brown colour.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the chopped walnuts.
- Sandwich two wafer sheets together by spreading the caramel and walnut filling on each side.
- Leave to cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving.