One pan chicken in creamy mushroom sauce, a simple, yet sophisticated dish that can be served to those guests that are usually hard to impress, they will just love it! And you will love not having tons of dishes to wash up after. Don’t you love the idea of one pan food?
If you follow my recipes, you would have no doubt noticed that chicken has its favourite place when it comes to cooking meat. It’s either chicken (in most cases) or vegetarian. Chicken cooks fairly quickly, it’s lighter than other kinds of meat, it’s tasty; all in all, it’s an easy option. And the beauty of it is that it goes so well with almost any veggie or sauce. This white sauce, for instance. It’s just out of this world. Chicken and mushroom are always a fine pair, so there’s no wonder why this dish tastes so delicious. And the sour cream adds that something special to it, making it less heavy that you would think.
Every cook has a secret way of cooking or a secret ingredient to make food tasty, but I think playing safe is the best way. A few things to keep in mind would be: always use fresh ingredients (where possible), sour cream has to be at room temperature before adding it to the dish, otherwise it will curdle, and be patient. Easy, isn’t it? Serve it with rice, mash, bulgur wheat, or even noodles. Or just on its own.
One pan chicken in creamy mushroom sauce
- 4 chicken thighs
- 100 g closed-cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green onion
- salt and pepper
- parsley to garnish
- Heat up the oil in a pan, add the chicken thighs and fry on both sides until brown. They do not have to be cooked through, as they will be cooked further in the oven.
- Remove the chicken and add the onion cut roughly. Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Chop the mushrooms and garlic cloves and sautée them for 5 minutes.
- In go the peas, chicken and the chicken stock.
- Cover the pan with a lid and transfer to the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are very soft. The temperature in the oven should be around 200 degrees C.
- Remove from the oven, add the sour cream, season well with salt and pepper an garnish with green onion and parsley.