These Crescent rolls with strawberry jam, or cornulete cu gem de capsune in Romanian, are absolutely delicious. They are super popular in Romania, mum used to make them a lot when I was a child, and that is because they do not require loads of ingredients, you would almost always have them in the kitchen. Plus, you get many rolls, more than enough to satisfy your cravings.
It is quite common to swap the jam (and you can really use any kind of jam) for turkish delight. If you do use jam, I would suggest not to use too much, as otherwise it will spread during baking. And be very careful when you take them out of the oven, as they jam will be super hot. Other than that, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, get the remote and watch a good movie while enjoying these delicious rolls. And do not feel guilty if you have them for breakfast too, after all, they are hard to resist.
Crescent rolls with strawberry jam
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g butter
- 100 g yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup of strawberry jam
- a pinch of salt
- one sachet of powdered vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Melt the butter and allow it to cool.
- Sift the flour and make a well in the middle.
- Add the melted butter, yogurt and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda with the lemon or lime juice. Add it to the flour mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients into a dough. Add more flour if needed.
- On a board, roll the dough and cut it into squares.
- Place 1/2 tsp of strawberry jam on each square.
- Fold the squares and place them onto a baking tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Sprinkle powdered vanilla sugar over.