Vegan chocolate brownie cake with walnuts and a hint of lemon, the much-loved brownie taste, but dairy and egg free. Awesome!
Nowadays, there is plenty of choice out there to cater for any dietary requirements, but sometimes things could be tricky if you have to deal with dairy intolerance, egg allergy and so on. Those of you who follow a strict vegan diet will also find that perhaps smaller shops have not got that much to offer. So, what’s the solution then? Yes, home cooking, that’s right. You get to use fresh ingredients, adjust everything according to your own taste and know exactly what’s in there. And this recipe will put a big smile on your face. It’s super douper simple, uses just a very few ingredients and it tastes like nothing else in the world. You won’t even tell it’s absolutely egg and dairy free.
Even people who can swear they can’t live without eggs and dairy will be impressed with this chocolate brownie cake. Still, if you really, really want the real thing, why not check out my Indulgent chocolate brownies with walnuts, which follows a more traditional recipe using butter and eggs. For this vegan cake, it is entirely up to you if you want to use a square baking tray and cut the cakes into a square brownie shape. I just thought it looks quite nice as a cake and baked it in a round cake tin that has removable walls. That makes things fairly easy, no stress whatsoever that the cake will stick to the tin. Who said baking is difficult?
Vegan chocolate brownie cake with walnuts
- 125 g plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 30 g cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- 125 ml soya milk
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add the lemon zest, soya milk, sunflower oil and chopped walnuts.
- Mix everything well.
- Oil and butter a round cake tin and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on the oven.
- Insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow to cool, then dust with icing sugar.