Creamy peach rice pudding with a lemon and cinnamon kick, a healthy dessert for the whole family.
When l hear the word dessert, the first thing that comes to my mind must be chocolate, rich whipped cream, or any other heavy buttery sweet treats, but what about a lighter, healthier dessert that you can indulge in without having to hit the gym hard after? This lovely rice pudding is the answer. So milky and light, that one portion can never be enough. And because it’s low in sugar, little ones can safely enjoy it too. It must have been my favourite dessert when l was little, together with the Semolina pudding.
Alternatively, if you’ve had enough of the good old porridge, this rice pudding will make a delicious breakfast. Top it with any other fruit if you like, and throw some nuts as well, and you are good to go. A healthy and filling breakfast to keep you happy until lunch time. Yum!
Peach rice pudding
- 1 cup of pudding rice
- 3 cups of semi-skimmed milk
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 200 g canned peaches
- Rinse the pudding rice with plenty of water until the water runs clear. If you do not have rice pudding, any other short grain rice should do.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a large pan and boil the rice for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and set aside.
- In another large pan, add the milk, zest of one lemon, cinnamon and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook on a low to medium heat whisking continuously, otherwise the rice will stick to the pan once the milk starts to evaporate.
- Cook until the rice is tender and all the milk is fully absorbed.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with with chopped canned peaches.
- Serve hot or cold from the fridge.