If you like soups, you will definitely love this cream of mushroom soup. It has a lovely smooth texture and an earthy nutty flavour; l love eating it with freshly-baked bread. And it has to be super hot, l really don’t like having my food warm, it doesn’t taste as nice. Although, when you have a baby, you are lucky enough if you get a chance to eat at all, never mind having hot food.
As a child l used to go to the forest with my grandmother to pick up fresh mushrooms and those had the best taste in the world. Not a single pence spent, yet had the most delicious meal we could have asked for. I do miss the countryside, the simple, yet beautiful life and the healthy food. No trace of junk, just super healthy and tasty too. The real taste.
I used chestnut and portobello mushrooms for this soup, but you can choose any other variety if you like. The chicken stock really worked wonders, enhancing the sweet taste of the creamy soup, but feel free to use vegetable one if you’d rather have a vegetarian meal. A gorgeous, soothing soup to have after a long tiring day.
Cream of mushroom soup
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 150 g Portobello mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 100 ml double cream
- 2 cups of good-quality chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp plain flour
- Chop the onion and garlic cloves finely.
- Add the vegetable oil to a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat until soft.
- Chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan as well.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, then let the mushrooms cook for about 5 minutes until the water released by the mushrooms evaporated.
- Pour in the chicken stock and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Add half of the double cream, the flour and season with salt.
- Stir well. The liquid will thicken slightly now.
- Remove from the heat and use a hand blender to blend the soup to a smooth texture.
- Add the rest of the double cream and let it simmer on a low heat for a few minutes, taking care as the soup will now bubble.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot.