If l have to come up quickly with my all-time favourite dishes, this Spanish chorizo tortilla would definitely make the top 10. Maybe not surprisingly at all, the other 9 would contain potatoes as well. I just loves them.
My good friend Leticia taught me how to make Spanish tortilla some years ago and l fell in love with this dish instantly. It is so easy to make and so tasty. I must have made it so many times now, l’ve lost the count. Even so, it will never be as tasty as Leticia’s, her tortilla is the best in the world.
If Italians have fritatta, Spanish people have tortilla, which is a potato-based omelette. Any ingredient can be added to it, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, or you may prefer to keep it simple by just using potatoes, eggs, onion and garlic. Chorizo is a Spanish pork sausage that has a distinctive smokiness and deep red colour. It can either be eaten as a snack or added to any dish to boost the flavours. For my tortilla l used snacking chorizo which was already cooked, so l could used it straight away. Some chorizo requires cooking beforehand.
If you ask me, tortilla is more than an omelette, it is filling enough to be enjoyed as a main dish for lunch or dinner, on its own or with a nice salad. For breakfast l would probably just have a normal egg omelette though. You must try this recipe, you will love it!
Spanish chorizo tortilla
- 5 medium potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 40 g snacking chorizo
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring onion
- Peel and cut the potatoes thinly.
- Cut the onion and garlic finely.
- Add the vegetable oil to a deep frying pan and heat it up on a medium heat.
- Add half of the potatoes, garlic and onion and season with salt.
- Fry until cooked through. It is best to fry them in batches, rather than everything at once, so the potatoes can be cooked properly.
- Line paper towel on a large plate and transfer the potatoes, onion and garlic so that the excess oil can be absorbed.
- Repeat the process with the second batch.
- Beat the eggs well and season with salt, paprika and pepper.
- Slice the chorizo and mix them with the eggs and fried potatoes, onion and garlic.
- Discard of the vegetable oil and clean the frying pan with some paper towel.
- Add the extra virgin olive to the frying pan and heat it up.
- Now add the egg and potato mixture and fry on a medium heat until set and golden brown underneath.
- Place a large plate on top of the frying pan and quickly flip the tortilla over. Be very careful not to burn yourself, just in case some hot oil drips from the pan.
- Return the tortilla to the pan so it can cook on the other side as well.
- Transfer to a plate and decorate with chopped dill, spring onion and chorizo.
- Serve hot.