This aubergine dip with mayonnaise is a family favourite, I have always loved it ever since I was a little girl. Although it can be enjoyed all year round, because it is best served cold from the fridge, it makes a perfect starter on a hot summer day. The humble aubergine is taken to a whole new level, the dip is fresh, citrussy and light. I love to eat it either with freshly baked bread or croutons, but you can either have it with pitta bread or any other type of bread, crackers, biscuits and so on.
Aubergine dip with mayonnaise and garlic croutons
For the aubergine dip:
- 3 aubergines
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
For the croutons:
- 4 slices of wholegrain bread
- 1 garlic clove, puréed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the aubergines on a tray and roast for approximately an hour until the flesh is soft. The time varies depending on the size of the aubergines.
- Leave them to cool completely, then remove the skin and chop the flesh on a chopping board until you get a smooth paste. Alternatively, you can blend the flesh either with a hand blender or an electric one.
- The aubergines have a high water content, so make sure you drain the water before transferring them to a bowl. It works well if you put the aubergines in a colander.
- Add the chopped spring onion, lemon juice and mayonnaise and mix well.
- Season with salt, black pepper and decorate with chopped parsley.
- To make the croutons, mix the olive oil, salt, paprika, ground black pepper and the garlic puree in a small bowl.
- Lightly brush the bread slices with the mixture, then cut the slices in the desired shape.
- Place on a tray and roast for about 5 minutes or until they are golden and crispy. The croutons make a great starter, I have also used them in my Smoked salon party canapés recipe.
I am bringing this recipe to the Fiesta Friday #105.
Aubergine dip with mayonnaise