Pink frosting chocolate cupcakes, a sweet way of saying I love you
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and everywhere you look there are red hearts, love messages, cards, roses, images of Cupid and its arrow, talking toy teddy bears, heart-shaped red cushions and so many other Valentine’s Day gifts. I know some people dislike the idea of Valentine’s Day, but I like it, why not? Yes, you should let your other half know how much you love him/her every day and now only once a year, but some extra spoiling can make no harm.
Whether you choose to celebrate it or not, I think any occasion is a good excuse for baking some divinely rich and decadent chocolate cupcakes with luxurious frosting. After all, chocolate is the perfect aphrodisiac, right? Love is in the air, everywhere you look around. Love, love, love!
I’m also sharing this recipe on Fiesta Friday. Makes 6 cupcakes.
Valentine’s Day Pink Frosting Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 70 g plain flour
- 80 g butter
- 85 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
For the frosting:
- 150 g butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops of pink food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cut the butter in small cubes and add it to a bowl. The butter should be soft, so it is best to take it out of the fridge at least half an hour before you start.
- Add caster sugar to the butter and use a silicone spatula to mix them very well until creamy and smooth. I find that the spatula works better than anything else.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly, then gradually add them to the buttery mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and mix well.
- Pour in the lemon extract.
- Arrange 12 cupcake cases on a cupcake/muffin tin and spoon the mixture into the cases until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and firm to touch.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and icing sugar, adding 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Add more only if necessary. Mix in the pink food colouring and beat well until smooth.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the buttercream frosting.