Christmas is a time of joy, togetherness and indulgence. We buy the best presents and cook the most delicious dishes. When l was a child, l just could not wait for the Christmas day and l still feel as excited today as l was years ago.
In Romania we are very traditional when it comes about our Christmas menu, but unlike other countries, we have pork dishes on our tables, and not turkey. In every house you will find “sarmale”, or meat and rice rolls in cabbage, pork steak, pork sausages, ham and cozonac, to name a few. I shall be posting some of these delicious dishes next week. Even if l am away from my country, l always cook Romanian dishes, as Christmas is just not same without them.
The truth is, after having such delicious but heavy dishes, by evening we are so full, we cannot possibly eat anything that has to do with meat and sweets. So nothing better than a light and refreshing salad to help us have a good night sleep. Of course, the following morning we carry on with the lovely christmassy food.
This Brussels sprouts salad is perfect for a Christmas evening, it has gorgeous colours, a lovely crunch and it’s highly nutritious. Just what we need.
- 200 g Brussels sprouts
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 spring onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- dill to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Use a sharp knife to shred the Brussels sprouts finely.
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumber and yellow pepper and mix them with the shredded Brussels sprouts.
- Cut the spring onion finely and add it to the salad.
- Mix olive oil, cider vinegar and chopped dill to make the dressing.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Best served chilled.