What is better than a tomato soup? A roasted tomato soup with basil ?
Dinner should always be nice and light, as this will (should) ensure a good night sleep. And a lovely soup can be the answer. A few simple ingredients, a few tricks, a bit of magic, a blender, and voilà, dinner is served.
About the tricks, roasting the tomatoes gives the soup that wow taste. You can also roast the onion at the same time, but l prefer to fry it to get that lovely caramelised taste and then add the roasted tomatoes to the pan. Some people may like to serve the soup with cream as well, I just added a bit on top, but you can also add some while you blend the tomatoes.
Cooking at home is so easy, and l cannot believe how much money people spend on ready-made soups. So many nasty ingredients are added to give a better taste. I am always shocked to read some labels, you hardly get any vegetables in your soup. Not to mention the soups in sachets, which are really bad for our health.
So let’s get cooking!
Roasted tomato soup with basil
- 8 tomatoes on the vine
- 1 onion
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters and place them on a roasting tray.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- In a pan, add one tbsp of vegetable oil. Cut the onion finely and fry until golden.
- Add the roasted tomatoes to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add 400 ml of vegetable stock and stir for 2 minutes.
- Chop some basil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Pour the soup in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Sieve the pips out, then transfer to a pan and reheat it.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve hot.