Butternut squash and sweet potato risotto, such a lovely dish!
The ultimate comfort food, risotto is simple and tasty, perfect for a cold Autumn evening. When l was a child l used to love risotto, but then, for some reasons l started to dislike it. So for many years l would not have it at all. Until quite recently, and now l crave risotto a lot. And l mean a lot. I just love how easy this can be prepared. You can use pretty much anything you like, any vegetables or meat, the result will be the same, a wonderful dish that you can enjoy anytime.
I chose butternut squash and sweet potatoes because of their great taste. They are also packed with vitamins, which make them ideal, especially if you are keeping an eye on your diet. So let’s cook!
- 1 cup of risotto rice
- 1 cup of butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion
- 2 spring onions
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a pan, add the butter and olive oil and fry the finely chopped onions until soft.
- Wash the rice with plenty of cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir gently for 1 minute.
- Stir in the butternut squash and sweet potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and let it cook until the stock is absorbed. You can use vegetable stock instead, but the chicken stock will add more flavour.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover it with a lid for 10 minutes. This will help release all the flavours.
- Grate some parmesan cheese on top and garnish with finely chopped parsley.