A classic dish with a chilli kick, tomato and basil spaghetti is so simple, yet so tasty. Spaghetti are one of the most popular dish on the planet, enjoyed by kids and adults. It is so easy to prepare and does not require a long cooking time. Plus it is cheap, it just a few pounds you have a delicious and healthy meal.
Although it is not a heavy dish, it is quite filling. Tomatoes and basil go so well together, forming one of life’s happiest marriages. I love adding quite a lot of garlic, but feel free to add less, if you do not like that much garlic. Also, chilli is optional, add it only if you love spicy food, as the red chilli can be quite spicy. Do deseed it if you choose to use it.
No need to buy ready-made spaghetti or spend a fortune in a restaurant, make your own tomato and basil spaghetti, and you will love the results. So let’s get cooking!
- 5 tomatoes
- 4 big garlic cloves
- 1/4 packet of spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- 1/2 red chilli pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Bring 1 l water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and a few drops of olive oil.
- Add the spaghetti and stir gently. Cook for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain the water and set aside.
- Chop the garlic cloves and chilli finely.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and add the garlic and chilli and fry for 5 seconds to release the flavour.
- Chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Stir gently until you get a nice paste. Season well.
- Toss the spaghetti in and add 2 tbsp of tomato purée.
- Transfer to a plate and top with grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil.