Stuffed red bell peppers is the ultimate comfort food. Not a very nice day today, it’s cold and there are thick clouds bringing heavy rain soon. On such a day, only comfort food would brighten up the day. And l found the perfect dish: stuffed red bell peppers. I chose red peppers because they are sweet and marry well with the rice and meat stuffing, but green or yellow peppers could be used too. Easy to prepare, but the cooking time is approximately one hour. Still, what an amazing dish!
Stuffed red bell peppers with rice and beef mince
- 5 red bell peppers
- 250 gr beef mince
- 5 tbsp rice
- 1 big onion
- 2 spring onions
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- beef stock
- 4 tbsp tomato passata
- salt and black pepper
- Use a sharp knife to cut the top off the peppers and remove the seeds. Keep the tops as later on can be used as lids.
- Cut the onions finely and fry until soft.
- Add the beef mince and stir until the meat becomes brown and the water is absorbed.
- Wash the rice under cold water, then add to the pan and mix well with the meat. The rule is that we need one heap tbsp of rice for each pepper. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Place the peppers in a large pan, making sure they fit in perfectly.
- Stuff the peppers, then put back the tops.
- Add enough beef stock to cover about 2/3 of the peppers, but do pour some stock inside the peppers too, so the stuffing can cook properly.
- Cook on a medium heat until the peppers are soft, but still holding their shape and the stuffing is cooked well.
- Add passata to the stock, then season with parsley.
- Remove from the heat and cover with a lid for at least 20 minutes.