Porridge makes a delicious and healthy breakfast, and it is so easy to prepare. I must say that I did not use to eat porridge, as I thought it looked plain and boring. I only had to have it once to fall in love with it. The great thing about it is that you can throw anything in it, the limit is only your own imagination. From fresh or dry fruit, yogourt, preserve or jam, chocolate chips, honey, maple syrup and the list is endless. Nice, cheap and easy peasy!
I like combining fine and jumbo rolled oats, at it gives the porridge an interesting texture. Also, you can use only milk, or half milk and half water, or only water, it will still taste like heaven. Such a healthy alternative to the sugary cereals, which are not as filling and nutritious, although they may be advertised as being a great way of starting your day. Do give this recipe a try, you will love it. Alternatively, if you fancy some posh breakfast, maybe my Egg muffins with cheesy sauce is a recipe for you. Or a more traditional omelette? Whatever you choose, your day will be awesome, no doubt about it!
Porridge with banana, raisins and almonds
- 2 cups of semi-skimmed milk
- 1/2 cup of fine oats
- 1/2 cup of jumbo rolled oats
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of chopped dried apricots
- 2tbsp of almonds
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- Pour the milk into a non-stick pan and bring it to a boil. Add a good pinch of salt, that will give the porridge a lovely taste.
- Add the fine oats and jumbo rolled oats and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and mix well.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Slice a half a banana and top the porridge with it together with the raisins and almond flakes. A good squeeze of honey will make it super delicious.
- Serve warm. Make sure you leave it to cool once it comes off the heat, as it can be really hot.