Gingernut cookies or ginger cookies are a traditional Christmas treat. They might look simple, but the flavour is amazing. It you haven’t got time to bake fancy gingerbread houses or other iced biscuits, these are a great alternative, everyone will love the taste.
I would say that the gingernut cookies are a much more simple variation of the gingerbread cookies. Not quite sure why they are called gingernut, as they do not contain nuts at all, so they are surely safe for people with nut allergies. The ginger flavour brings heat, but is not too sharp. Taken out of the oven, the cookies are soft and chewey, but once they cool down they harden, and you can get that snap and a good crunch, so some people may call them gingersnaps as well. They really go well with a hot drink, be it your favourite tea, hot chocolate or coffee. Talking about hot chocolate, fancy a good homemade one? I’ve got the perfect recipe: Decadent whipped cream hot chocolate, way healthier and tastier than the one you buy.
If you have kids, this is an easy recipe, so they can give a helping hand, they would love measuring the ingredients and mixing. And you really don’t need to worry about a perfect shape. I haven’t used cookie cutters, but prefered to shape the dough into small patties, and they turned out quite nicely. What about you? What are your favourite Christmas cookies?
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- 50 g caster sugar
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- Cut the butter into cubes and add it to a pan together with the golden syrup.
- Let it melt over a low heat, stir to combine well, then leave to cool for a bit.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and add the sugar, ginger, the egg beaten lightly with a pinch of salt and the butter mixture.
- Mix all ingredients well until you get a soft dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick paper, then use your hand to shape patties out of the dough.
- Make sure you leave enough space between the patties, as they will spread while in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.