Peppermint chocolate mousse with aquafaba, a guilt-free festive dessert that with no eggs or dairy. So fluffy, light, yet indulgent and chocolatey. And with only 4 ingredients.
You must have heard about aquafaba by now, the miraculous liquid in which beans like chickpeas are cooked, and which we usually dump down the drain without a second thought. I must say, l did not believe that it can actually replace the egg white successfully, but l was so wrong. You get exactly the same meringue-like consistency when you beat it, and it does not have a funny taste at all. So impressive!
I wouldn’t have probably given it a try had l not been pregnant. Raw eggs are definitely a big no-no in pregnancy, but who says we can’t enjoy an amazing chocolate mousse? Now we can ? Also ideal for vegans and people with egg allergy. One thing l should warn you about, if like me you don’t own a kitchen aid, and have to reply on a good old hand mixer, is that it does take a lot longer to get the stiff peaks when you beat the liquid. But getting the stiff peaks is absolutely crucial in order to get the right consistency, otherwise the mixture won’t set. So, no rushing, and no shortcuts!!!
Adding peppermint extract brings such an intense flavour, and, since it’s peppermint season, this was an obvious choice. I also love the delicate bitterness given by the combination dark chocolate and peppermint. Add more sugar if you like it rather sweeter. All in all, a superb dessert!
Peppermint chocolate mousse with aquafaba
- 125 ml chickpea liquid
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- a few drops of peppermint extract
- Break the chocolate into smaller pieces and place them in a heat-proof bowl.
- Sit over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt completely.
- Set aside to cool.
- Measure 125 ml of chickpea liquid and pour into a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer until you get soft peaks.
- Gradually add the caster sugar and continue to beat until you get stiff peaks, depending on the speed of your mixer, it may take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use a silicone spatula to gently fold it in the melted chocolate, add the peppermint extract and mix just enough to get a smooth and fluffy consistency.
- Transfer to cups or a bowl of your choice and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set.