Roasted aubergine fan with chicken, cheese and tomatoes, an impressive alternative to the classic stuffed aubergines. So delicious and making it is easier than you would think.
As much as l love aubergines, they can be pretty boring on their own; cook them together with other ingredients and season them well, and they taste just amazing. I do have a few favourite recipes, like Roasted aubergine spread with tomatoes and peppers, Aubergine dip with mayonnaise or Stuffed aubergines. They all make a perfect starter, or, why not, a good snack in between meals, if you feel peckish, but would rather not have anything too big. Aubergines are ever so versatile, lots of ways of cooking them, although l think roasting is the very best.
You only need a few ingredients to make the fan, a few tomatoes, a few slices of your favourite cheese and a few slices of cooked chicken. Feel free to use ham or turkey instead of chicken, or omit it altogether for a vegetarian version. I used basil and parsley as they make a good match with cheese and tomatoes, but any other herb should do, why not. It’s all about experimenting, isn’t it?
Roasted aubergine fan with chicken, cheese and tomatoes
- 3 aubergines
- 50 ml olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- about 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slices of Gouda cheese
- 8 slices of cooked chicken
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Slice the aubergines lengthwise, keeping the end bit, so that is looks like a fan, each slices should be about 1/2 cm thick.
- Use a garlic presser to puree the garlic, then mix it with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Slice the tomatoes, then cut the cheese and chicken in half.
- Brush each slice with the oil mixture, then arrange between each slice 2 slices of tomatoes, 1 slice of cheese and one of chicken and top it with basil.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 45 to 60 minutes until the aubergines are tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.