BBQ chicken, smoked ham and veggie skewers, a must-have appetizer for any summer garden party!
We all love talking about weather, don’t we? Or better said, moaning. But summer is here and there no more complaining whatsoever. Time for some garden parties to celebrate…well, no reason needed to host a party. Barbecue’s up, drinks are as cold as ice, friends and families are around. Let’s get the party started! No party? Well, these bbq chicken, smoked ham and veggie skewers can also make a great Sunday treat. Alternatively, how about some Sunday roast chicken with carrots, potatoes and peas if the weather is not great for a barbecue?
l love the smokey flavour of bbq meat or vegetables, the cooking method can make such a difference to the texture and taste. The meat is chewy and tender at the same time, and the veggies are crunchy. I opted for onion, cherry tomatoes, aubergine and pickled red bell pepper, and that was an excellent choice, along with the smoked ham. You can use only chicken, but l find that the smoked ham, which had a tiny little amount of fat, adds moisture and flavour. Barbecue at its best!
BBQ chicken, smoked ham and veggie skewers
- 1/2 small chicken breast
- 1/2 aubergine
- 1 onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 3 slices of smoked ham
- 1 pickled red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- The onion, chicken breast and aubergine can be cut into bigger chunks.
- Roughly chop the pickled red bell pepper and cube the smoked ham.
- Thread the ingredients between 7 skewers, alternating each ingredient.
- Drizzle olive oil onto a plate and toss the skewers, so that they can be slightly oiled, that will prevent the meat from drying on the barbecue.
- Place the skewers onto the barbecue and leave to cook throughly on both sides, depending on the heat, this can take up to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot, either on their own or with a bbq sauce.