Eggy bread with cinnamon, topped with slices of banana and strawberries and a dash of honey, a little treat to make your mornings sweeter.
Have you ever wanted to be a child again? You have, I am sure. Well, since a time machine has not been invented yet, how about going back to our sweet childhood time through food? Surely there must be some dishes that will always make you travel back in time. This eggy bread is one of them for me. I have not had it since I was a child, and a few days ago I suddenly remembered by mum making it me before school. That was a real treat. Sweets were scarce that time, with Romania being a communist country, one had to make the most of the ingredients found in the kitchen. Creativity was definitely an asset you had to possess. This eggy bread, although served for breakfast, was a kind of dessert as well because of the sweet taste. Oh, those old days.
I was surprised to know that eggy bread is quite popular in the UK as well. But then, who wouldn’t like it! You can just top it with powdered sugar, or take it to a whole new level and top it with your favourite fruit and nuts. I have used banana and strawberries and drizzled a bit of honey over, but maple syrup or any other syrup would be amazing too. The egg bread is a great alternative to pancakes and is ready in just a few minutes.
Eggy bread with cinnamon, walnuts and fruit
Ingredients for 2 portions:
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 thick slices of white bread
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered suggar
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 5 strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Crack the egg and add it to a bowl.
- Whisk it slightly, then add the milk and cinnamon and whisk again for a few seconds.
- Dip the slices of bread into the bowl to coat both sides.
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread slices for 1-2 minutes of both sides until golden-brown.
- You may have to fry the bread slices in batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Transfer the bread slices on a plate and dust some powered sugar over.
- Top with the chopped walnuts and the slices of strawberries and banana.
- Drizzle some honey over as well, or any syrup.
- Serve immediately.