So you’ve decided to bin those crisps and sugary nibbles that keep staring at you and calling your name. From today you are going to be brave and go back to a healthy lifestyle. Easier said than done, l know. But what’s the alternative to all that naughtiness you’ve been having? How about some roasted chickpeas? They are tons healthier and the excellent snack if you like some good crunch.
Chickpeas are high in protein and fibre and low in fat, which makes them an excellent choice when it comes about eating healthily. Although they are probably used mostly to make falafels, they are great in any salad or stews. I love chickpeas and I often open a can and just eat them like that.
To make these crunchy roasted chickpeas with a chilli kick I used smoked paprika and hot curry powder, but you can replace these with any other seasoning, be it garlic, onion, chilli powder or so on. Or just salt, if you are not very keen on spicy snacks. Also, it makes things a lot easier to buy canned chickpeas, since they are already cooked and so cheap, but you can also buy dried chickpeas and cook them yourself.
Crunchy roasted chickpeas with a chilli kick
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/8 tsp grund black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot curry powder
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees C.
- Place the chickpeas in a colander to drain the water, then rise well with cold water.
- Spread them on kitchen towel to dry, and remove their skins. It does take time to remove the skin from every single one of them, but it is fairly easy to do it, just press gently on them and the skin comes out straight away.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a roasting tray and toss well with olive oil, shaking the tray gently to ensure they are all coated evenly.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven, then add the smoked paprika and hot curry powder.
- Roast for a further 10 minutes until golden brown and crunchy.