A delightful combination of flavours, these carrot, apple and cheese fritters are great if you need some yummy nibbles before your meal. Soft and cheesy, with a salty and peppery taste, they are lovely on their own, but you can also dip them in any cheese sauce, sour cream, ketchup or chilli sauce.
My baby loves her apple and carrot pureé, and that inspired me to use apple as well in these fritters, they both have a natural sweet taste which marries well with the saltiness of the cheese. I used Apetina block cheese, but if you do not have it, cottage cheese would also do.
Since carrot dishes are the favourite on the Easter menu, these fritters would be a smashing success ticking all the boxes, including easy and quick preparation. Not much mess to clear after, since everything goes in one bowl. As much as l love cooking and baking, cleaning after and doing the washing up can be such a headache. I do wish l had a magic wand to make the kitchen nice and sparkling in seconds. Oh, well!
Carrot, apple and cheese fritters
- 3 carrots
- 1 apple
- 100 g Apetina block cheese
- 1 spring onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Peel and grate the carrots and apple, then use your hands to squeese as much juice as possible.
- Add the grated carrots and apple to a bowl, then mix in the cheese, egg, finely chopped spring onion, and season with salt and pepper to taste. The cheese is already salty, so no need to add too much salt.
- Next, add the flour and breadcrumbs and mix all ingredients well.
- Shape small patties from the mixture, they will be quite soft and sticky, but they do hold their shape well.
- Add the vegetable oil to a frying pan and fry the patties for about 2 minutes on each side, until crispy.
- Remove from the pan and place on a kitcken towel, so that the excess oil can be absorbed.
- Serve warm!