This meatloaf with egg and herbs is a must-have on the Easter menu, it’s absolutely superb. It’s got an avalanche of flavours, it’s filling and you can hear it saying “Eat me”, “Eat me”.
I love spring with its lovely fresh colours, the buzzing and the gorgeous weather, no more grey everywhere. Such an exciting time! And with Easter fast approaching, we have never been busier in the kitchen getting all that yummy food ready. So much to choose from. Since starters go first, the pressure is ever higher as you want to impress right from the begging. And what a better choice than a lovely meatloaf. Once on the table, it will be gone in seconds, there won’t even be crumbs left. Just pop it in the fridge beforehand, as it tastes a lot better cold and it feels less heavy. I used beef, but any other meat goes. Or, for a vegetarian version, use dried soy granules which can be soaked in hot water, the result will be as delicious.Yum!
Easter meatloaf with egg and herbs
- 500 g beef mince
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary
- 2 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Boil 2 eggs in salty water for at least 15 minutes until hard.
- Leave to cool, then peel and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef mince with chopped dill, parsley, rosemary and season well with salt, ground black pepper and paprika.
- Crack the other 2 raw eggs and add them to the bowl together with the milk and breadcrumbs, mixing all the ingredients really well.
- Best to use the hands for this job, just make sure you wash very well beforehand and after.
- Chop the spring onions and garlic really finely and mix them with the rest of the ingredients.
- In a loaf tin, spread a thin layer of meat on the bottom of the tin, then place the peeled eggs and cover with the rest of the meat mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and a half until cooked through and brown on top.
- Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Great with any sauce, especially tomato or garlic. Or chilli sauce.