20 February, 2016
Egg muffins with cheesy sauce
Egg muffins in cheesy sauce, a delicious and posh breakfast.
If you love omelettes and bread and cheese, how about having a bite of all of them at the same time? Nothing easier with these muffins. I know we usually put more thought and care more about composition when it comes about lunch or dinner, but breakfast can look posh too. These mini egg muffins look amazing and taste even better. You have a gooey cheesy and eggy centre, then crispy bread on the outside. Heaven!
We all know how hectic mornings can be and most people will simply skip breakfast because they do not have enough time to have a cooked breakfast before going to work. But these omelette muffins can be enjoyed on the go, no need to sit down at the table. You can throw in absolutely anything you like, bacon, chicken, any kind of veggies. Or keep them simple, and they will still be lovely. These ingredients are enough for 3 muffins, so double up the quantities if you need more. Must try!
Have a look at my World’s best omelette, if you want a more traditional omelette recipe.
Egg muffins in cheesy sauce
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of wholemeal seeded bread
- 1 spring onion
- 2 springs of dill
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 tsp of plain flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- 30 g cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Chop the spring onions and dill, then grate the cheese. I used Cheddar cheese, but you can choose any other hard cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and add a good pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat.
- Add the flour and mix well to get a smooth paste.
- Pour in the milk and whisk until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add half of the grated cheese and mix well.
- Add a pinch of ground black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Butter 3 muffin tin cups, then flatten the bread slices with the back of your hand.
- Line the muffin tin cups with the bread.
- Throw in the chopped spring onion, and pour in the cheese sauce so that the cups are half full.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 3 cups, they should now be full.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the bread is nice and crisp and the egg has settled.
- Serve hot with chopped spring onions and dill.