Tomato red pepper bruschetta, a posh and tasty Italian starter for any occasion
Bruschetta is an Italian starter dish consisting of grilled bread that is rubbed with garlic and olive oil and there are various toppings you can choose from. The most famous one and most-loved must be the tomato topping, but other may include cheese of any type, peppers, black olives, basil, beans, cured meat and so on. It is all up to one’s taste and imagination, really.
Most Italian restaurants will have bruschetta as a starter dish or appetizer. Light, tasty and healthy, one can never go wrong with it. I opted for cherry tomatoes, red pepper, black olives and basil and I got a fantastic treat. Who said that tasty food has to be fancy or expensive? I absolutely adore this starter and am sure you will want to have a try, it’s so easy.
Tomato red pepper bruschetta
- 4 slices of baguette
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper
- a handful of black olives
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 spring onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- basil to decorate
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Crush the garlic clove and rub each side of the baguette slices
- Drizzle some olive oil on top and bake for about 5-10 minutes until the baguette slices are crispy.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Meantime, cut and deseed the cherry tomatoes and red pepper and add them to a bowl.
- Chop the spring onion finely and slice the black olives.
- Mix everything together, season with fine sea salt and ground black pepper and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Use a spoon to top the baguette slices.
- Decorate with fresh basil.