Savoury potato pancakes with spring onions and dill, a quick and easy treat for Pancakes Day.
Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, also known as Shrove Tuesday or Pancakes Day, is celebrated on the Tuesday before Lent, which begins on Ash Wednesday. It is said that the tradition of having pancakes on this particular day goes as far back as the 15th century, and it was a good opportunity for people to use up eggs and fat before Lent. There is no fixed date for Pancakes Day, this usually varies from year to year, being determined by Easter.
In other words, Pancakes Day may be seen as the perfect opportunity to eat silly and indulge on some delicious pancakes and other scrumptious dishes. And that without even feeling guilty ?
I chose to make some savoury pancakes instead of the sweet versions and they are fantastic. Serve with a fried or poached egg, cheese or even bacon and you are in for a treat. Get ready to show your skills in flipping pancakes like a professional with these easy to make potato pancakes.
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 spring onions
- 2 medium potatoes
- 20 g butter
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Bring a pan of salty water to the boil and boil the potatoes until soft.
- Drain the water and mash the potatoes.
- Set aside and allow the mashed potatoes to cool.
- Add the butter to a frying pan and melt over a low heat. Leave it to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder. Separatelly, mix the milk and the eggs.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix well, then add the cooled mashed potatoes, butter and chopped spring onions and dill.
- Season with salt, paprika and ground black pepper.
- Add a drop of vegetable oil to a frying pan a ladle some batter into the pan, tilting it so the batter can spread evenly.
- Cook for about 30 seconds, then flip the pancake over. Leave it to cook on the other side for a further 20 to 30 seconds.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat the process until you finish the batter.