Cheesy potato and sweet corn bites, a great starter with only a few ingredients.
I must admit that l am guilty of throwing away leftover food sometimes. How wrong that is! Leftovers can be transformed into a completely different and spectacular dish that tastes so great. I love potatoes and l could easily and happily survive only on potatoes, and there are countless ways of cooking them. Mashed potatoes are sheer goodness, so creamy and tasty. The only problem is that it is best to serve them immediately, as later on the taste won’t be as nice. But, as usual, l tend to cook way too much and inevitably there’s always some left.
I also had some sweet corn and was not quite sure how to use it, so l decided to make these lovely bites. l would lie if l say l love cheese. Love doesn’t even come close, l adore cheese. Cheddar cheese is by far my favourite type of cheese. Many of my dishes have cheese, it’s hard not to use it. But do feel free to use any other cheese, as these bites will taste great with any type.
So let’s get cooking!
Cheesy potato and sweet corn bites
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, cubed
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- chilli sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- Place the mashed potatoes in a large bowl.
- Chop the spring onion finely and add it to the bowl, together with the sweet corn.
- Season well with salt and black pepper and add some chilli sauce.
- Shape small balls and cover them in breadcrumbs.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Use your thumb to make a hole in the potato balls and place the cheese cube in there. Reshape them into a ball.
- Add the sunflower oil to a frying pan, then fry the potato balls until golden-brown.
- Place kitchen towel on a plate and transfer the potato bites, the paper will absorb the excess oil.
- Serve with sour cream and freshly chopped parsley.