Tiramisu is a famous no-bake Italian dessert that has become very popular all over the world. There are many varieties out there, but it is mainly made from lady or sponge fingers dipped in coffee, mascarpone or heavy cream/whipping cream, eggs and a touch of rum. It is heavenly flavourful and at its best served chilled from the fridge. I find that the cake tastes even better the following day l make it, as the flavours are even more intense. It is a posh dessert, so it can definitely be a winner if you serve it at a very special occasion.
I am not a coffee lover, yet l just love the subtle taste of coffee, its bitterness makes a lovely combination with the sweetness of the cream. My recipe is a bit of my own take on this classic dessert, l have not used eggs or alcohol and l combined mascarpone cheese with whipping cream and heavy cream and added a drop of vanilla essence. The final result exceeded my expectations and l received many praises for my tiramisu cake. It goes without saying that my New Year’s Resolution of eating healthy food did not last very long. But that is alright, a treat from time to time does not hurt at all. A no-bake, easy to make delish!
- 300 g lady/sponge fingers
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 300 g whipping cream
- 200 g heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered vanilla sugar
- 1 cup instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pour boiled water into a cup and add 1 tsp of instant coffee. Stir and then leave the coffee to cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the whipping cream until it holds stiff peaks.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and the heavy cream and mix again for 1 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla sugar and vanilla extract.
- Dip each lady/sponge fingers one by one into the coffee for 1 second, making sure they are soaked, but not soggy. We want them to hold their shape.
- Use a round cake tin and put fingers around it, then have another layer of sponge fingers on the bottom of the tin.
- Spread over half of the cream, then sprinkle cocoa powder.
- Repeat the layers of sponge fingers and cream and to with cocoa powder.
- Chill in the fridge for a few good hours, ideally overnight.