These energy-boosting dried fruit, seed & oat bars are the ideal snack you want to carry around with you to keep you going on a long busy day. Packed with essential vitamins and minerals, refined sugar and dairy-free, they will be your best ally in your fight to stop binging on crisps and chocolates when you get hungry or peckish. Most people tend to lack energy and feel exhausted during winter, partly because the sun hardly ever comes out and the days are short, it feels that the day goes by in a blink of an eye. So, when your energy level goes down, say no to junk and yes to a healthy snack.
Energy-boosting dried fruit, seed & oat bars
- 2 cups of dates
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of jumbo oats
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2/3 cup of sesame seeds
- Put the dates and raisins in a large bowl and pour enough water to cover them.
- Leave them to hydrate overnight.
- Drain the water and remove the pits from the dates. Place the dates and raisins in a food processor and blend until you get a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the jumbo oats.
- Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the sesame and pumpkin seeds on a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- Allow them to cool, then use a knife to slightly chop them.
- Add them to the fruit and oat paste and mix well.
- I have a cereal bar mould, but you can just use a square or rectangle baking tray and cut the bars in the desired shape later on.
- Bake the bars in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place them on a plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Best serve cold from the fridge. The bars are soft and chewy. Yum!