8 November, 2015
Vegetarian quiche, a gorgeous dish that can be enjoyed warm or cold from the fridge.
I must say that it is the first time l make a quiche, and that is because l was not a big fan up until today. I bought a few ready-made quiches in past and was not impressed at all, they were quite heavy and tasteless.
But then, the great thing about home-made food is that you choose what goes in it. And this quiche is lighter, has lots of veggies and it tastes great. Perfect for a light supper, with or without a salad.
For the pastry:
- 250 gr plain flour
- 125 gr butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 ml cold water
For the filling:
- 300 ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 spring onion
- a handful of black olives
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 courgette
- a few leaves of spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Apetina cubed cheese
- salt and pepper
- For the pastry you must use cold butter straight from the fridge. Sift the flour and cut the butter in small cubes, then rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk, then gradually add the water and mix until you get a firm dough.
- Knead the dough into a ball, then wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Return the dough to the working surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry and place it on a flan/quiche dish.
- Refrigerate again for about 30 minutes or so, if the pastry is cold, it will not shrink while baking. Another way of making sure the pastry does not shrink is blind baking, where you place a baking sheet on top of the pastry and fill with ceramic baking beans or just dry pulses.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees C, then remove the ceramic beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool down.
- To make the filling, beat the 2 eggs and the egg yolk with the sour cream and season well.
- Chop the spring onion, spinach, olives, and red pepper and spread them nicely over the bottom of the pastry. Grate some Cheddar cheese and Apetina cheese and sprinkle on top of the veggies.
- Pour the sour cream and egg mixture over and bake until the mixture has set and has a lovely yellowish colour.